Monday, June 7, 2010

Crane/stork scissors

I have pretty much always wanted a pair of those beautiful, gold- and silver-colored bird scissors used by embroiderers, but I never got around to tracking down a pair. 


You can imagine my delight when we stopped by my in-laws' place for a quick visit this weekend, and my wonderful mother-in-law hooked me up with these beauties:



Aren't they gorgeous? I'm not sure if they are meant to represent a crane or a stork -- perhaps I'll have to do a little internet research later on to see what I can learn about their history. Either way, I will be looking forward to using these every day!

4 comments:

  1. I have an antique pair that I have listed in my shop. They are storks and here is their interesting history
    http://www.creweljewels.com/Stork-Scissors-s/81.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathy! The scissors in your shop are very cute! I'm really going to cherish mine. And thanks a million for the link! They couldn't have a more interesting history, could they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've come across your blog. Very nice! And what more, I see you had the same dream about the crane scissors as I have:-). I've read your post and got really excited! You have exactly the same scissors I'm dreaming about for ages. I live in the Czech republic and there are none like these. Could you, please, tell me who is the manufacturer, what is the name/number of the product. Or could you, please, possibly tell me, where did you get them from? I'd love to contact the shop, if they could sell them to me, I could pay via Paypal. Oh, that would be just wonderfull. Hope you understand my desire:-). Thank you in advance for your help. Have a beautiful day. Svatia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Svatia! Welcome to my blog -- I'm so glad you like it! My scissors were a gift to me from my mother-in-law, who had them for many years. They don't have a manufacturer or name on them. But if you go to etsy.com, and do a search for "crane scissors," you'll find several pair that you can buy. Here's one of them: http://www.etsy.com/listing/74721572/vintage-embroidery-scissors-crane?ref=sr_list_3&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=crane+scissors&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete