Monday, May 30, 2011

Mother's day tea towel from a linen dress

One of the things I love about living here in Beacon, NY is the fact that I can always count on our Main Street shops for something unique and lovely when I need to find a gift for someone dear. 


A couple of weeks ago, my hubby and I were wandering around Main Street looking for some inspiration for a mother's day gift for my mother-in-law, Lisa. As usual, we ended up in our favorite shop, Clay, Wood and Cotton (aka CWAC):



CWAC is an adorable shop with a range of beautiful handmade items. At shop-owner Kristy's suggestion, we decided to give Lisa a "tea-time" themed gift this year, starting with this sweet cup and saucer from Virginia Piazza pottery





Next, we stopped by the Alps Sweet Shop...




...because what's tea-time without some truffles?




Final stop was the Beacon Natural Market...



...for the tea. We thought some organic Yogi Tea would be nice.


Then we headed home so I could whip up a nice tea towel to tie everything together. I wanted the towel to coordinate with Lisa's new cup and saucer so I raided my craft stash, looking for something in the green or blue family. I've had a very light blue linen dress from J. Crew in my craft stash for quite awhile. I used to love wearing this dress, but it doesn't fit me right anymore:




I harvested some fabric from the skirt, and stitched Lisa's name on it:




I sewed a band of cotton fabric (which you may recognize from earlier projects, here and here) to the bottom, and here's the result:






Enjoy your cuppa, Lisa!

2 comments:

  1. a very thoughtful gift for your mother!never thought such simple things at home (such as an old linen dress) can cater to such purposes!.Linen fibres are extremely tear resistant under tension. This resistance is even greater when they are wet.It makes a perfect tea towel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty! i agree- what IS tea time without truffles? :) the tea towel is so cute. i want one!! :)

    ReplyDelete