Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jasmine tree ornament


I had so much fun stitching up this jasmine flower Christmas tree ornament earlier this week!

I really enjoyed making this because it was a multi-step project. First, I shot the photo of the jasmine flower, over a year ago when we were on vacation in Spain. Here's that original photo:


Then I cropped the photo to make it round:


I wanted the ornament to actually have the scent of jasmine, so I mixed up some jasmine essential oil...


...with some cellulose fiber fixative, which absorbs the scent of the essential oil, making the scent last longer in a project. 


I printed my cropped photo on some photo fabric that can be put right through the computer printer:


And then I stitched my photo fabric onto the felt, which I embellished with embroidery. Once the embroidery was done, I sewed the front and back pieces together with a little blanket stitch, and stuffed the inside with my jasmine-scented fixative and some fiber fill. Here are some more photos I took before wrapping it up and giving it away today:




I've got several more ornaments underway at the moment, and will reveal them here sometime soon. Happy holidays!

1 comment:

  1. That printable fabric is so cool! Love this ornament, especially the tiny gold blossoms at the back! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete