Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Antique embroidery

We strolled around Cold Spring, NY this past weekend and I found some neat old embroidery pieces in the antique shops there:




Please forgive the lousy cell phone photo -- it reads: 


TO A FRIEND'S HOUSE
THE ROAD IS NEVER LONG
E.H.B. 1932


I really liked this blackwork piece:



I also saw a very sweet antique plate that read: "When two fond hearts unite -- the yoke is easy -- the burden light." I wasn't able to get a decent photo of it, but I thought it might be a cute saying to stitch up as a sampler myself. I guess this will have to go on the (growing!) project idea list...

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I love your blog, and I must admit that you really fast in making works! How could you have so many current projects in the same time and finish them so fast?

    PS: I never heard about blackwork before, so thanks for the link to the wikipedia. It's very amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tonia: Thanks! I could spend all day browsing in antique shops for things like this!

    @Cassle: Thanks for visiting and for your lovely comment! I have a pretty long train commute every day, and it gives me lots of time to work on my needlepoint. I'm trying to pick my next project now, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I can't wait to see more updates with your work, so please take some photos of them when you get the time. :)

    Is it hard to stitch while traveling with a train? I mentioned that you use hoops, but do you have any special equipment to help you stitch? I don't know the train's situation there, but here, it's a rather bumpy road than a smooth steel! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh one more thing... I know it might sounds silly, but could you please teach me how to wind the bobbins so tidy like you done for the banner? :) Thanks.. :)

    ReplyDelete